You can kiss your family good-bye and put miles between you, but at the same time you carry them with you in your heart, your mind, your stomach, because you do not just live in a world, but a world lives in you.
~ Frederick Buechner

Allyssa Brynn

Kelsey Leigh

Andrew Lee

Thursday, May 7, 2009

God Speed Meldrum Family

For those of you who do not know, I have a family of friends that I met several years back. Annie, their daughter, was in Ally's dance class as a 3 year old. We chatted weekly about random things as we waited for the girls to finish class and at the end of the year, registration was upon us. When I asked if she'd be returning, she said Annie would not be back because they were moving. Intrigued, I asked her where and she said Iraq!! Kristi's husband Tim was a youth minister at a local church and he felt his calling was to go to Iraq for 3 years and do God's work with the Kurds. They moved that summer to Texas to train for 2 years to go to Iraq. And today is that day. Their plane loaded down with 19 checked bags, 5 carry-ons, and 3 small children left Dallas at 4:20 and I have been thinking of them since. I think about them flying over free soil for the last time. I think about how the 2 younger boys will probably never remember life in America as they grow-up over the next 3 years. But, more than anything, I think about them leaving their families behind to fight for the Kurdish souls. I can picture them looking out the plane window right now as they fly over Georgia for the last time with a tear in their eye. Maybe for sadness...maybe for excitement...maybe for anxiety about whether or not they are doing the right thing. At any rate, I wish them the best and pray for them daily.

Meldrums...I know you are out there somewhere...and I am praying for you now. May God bless you and your family. May He give you all the tools and words you need to win over the Kurdish hearts and may you do it all with God's safe keeping. Can't wait to hear all about your adventures when you get settled!!!

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said. What champions for God's Kingdom! Good luck Meldrums!

    ReplyDelete